Creating a New ePortfolio
You may create as many ePortfolios as you wish. However, it is highly advisable that whenever you are required to use an ePortfolio for a new course that you simply add on to your original ePortfolio in order to create a cumulative body of work. However, this is entire up to you. If you create a new ePortfolio, it is a good idea to include your full name and course information.
To Create a New ePortfolio
1. Go to https://alaska.digication.com/
2. Enter your UAA email and your password. Click Log in.
Image 1: UAA's Digication login screen.
This will take you to your main Digication page. If you do not see the main page, but a page like the one below, click Home in the upper left corner to take you to the main Digication page.
Image 2: Location of Home button in upper left corner.
3. Click the plus button to create your new ePortfolio.
Image 3: Location of plus button to create new ePortfolio.
4. Title your ePortfolio using your full name.
- If you are planning on using your ePortfolio to establish your digital presence and have a common name, consider using your middle name in addition to your first and last.
- The title of your ePortfolio will automatically become part of your ePortfolio's web address. If you would like a different address, you can change this by clicking on edit under ePortfolio Web Address.
Image 4: Textbox for ePortfolio title and button to edit URL.
5. Under Templates, click Create From Scratch.
Image 5: Template from scratch option.
6. Uncheck the box Use selected Template's theme to modify the template. And select Customize.
From here, you can upload an image for the UAA Digication directory, upload an image for the ePortfolio's banner, change the ePortfolio's background color, and more.
7. Under Permissions*, click either Private Within University of Alaska or Public. ePortfolios that are 'Private Within University of Alaska' will only be viewable by other students and faculty logged in to a Digication account. 'Public' ePortfolios can be viewed by anyone on the internet.
- If you are planning to include your ePortfolio in your resume or LinkedIn account, you must set Permissions to Public.
Image 7: Permissions settings
* Permissions now has a new feature for Private within University of Alaska and Public. You can create a portfolio and give access to selected individuals by opting into the Require password for access. To do this, check the Require password for access box and create a password. You will have to provide the password for ALL users, regardless if they have an eWolf account, so they can gain access to your portfolio.
8. Under Tagging, click Allow tags by all editors.
Image 8: Tagging Settings
- This will allow faculty and ePortfolio Consultants to tag your ePortfolio. For example, if you create an exemplary ePortfolio for your ENGL A212 course, we will tag it as 'ENGL A212' which will allow others to find it by searching for the ENGL A212 tag.
9. Under Comments click allow comments from Registered Users.
10. Under Show Comments, click Do not show comments until they have been approved. Leave the Apply comment settings... checkbox unchecked
11. Scroll down and click Create New ePortfolio on the bottom left.
You should now be looking at your new ePortfolio.
On your ePortfolio is one SECTION labeled as Home and one PAGE labeled as Welcome.
To learn more about adding and editing sections, click on Sections under the Adding Content to your ePortfolio tab to your left.
To learn how to add a page to your ePortfolio, click on Pages under the Adding Content to your ePortfolio tab to your left.
To learn how to add content (words, images, videos) to your ePortfolio, click on Modules under the Adding Content to your ePortfolio tab to your left.