Create a Welcome Page
A good welcome page entices your viewers to browse your ePortfolio and typically has a mixture of text and images that is meaningful and descriptive for the ePortfolio owner. Make sure you are logged in and have clicked on your ePortfolio. Once your ePortfolio is opened, make sure you are in the Edit mode.
Then, select the Home tab and then the Welcome page.
1. Click the Add A Module button.
The Rich Text module is the default selection. If this is the format you'd like for the Welcome page, add the module. If not, select the appropriate module.
2. Click Add This Module at the bottom of the page.
3. Click the Edit tab to add text, images, or tables to your module.
4. Type into the text box a welcoming statement inviting your viewer to browse your ePortfolio. If there are no course specific instructions for the welcome page, include your name, your discipline, and consider adding an inspirational quote.
5. Insert an image with the Insert Media button in the toolbar of the module. It is the icon in-between the Insert File and Insert a new Table icon.
6. We recommend that you select a picture that is saved on your computer.* Click Browse to find a picture. You can choose to align your picture left or right. The picture size can be adjusted by entering a number into one field and leaving the second field blank. You can also adjust the picture once it's uploaded in the textbox by clicking and dragging the picture handles.
Warning: adjusting pictures larger than 300 will result in distortion and pixelation. Add large pictures in a media module or in the gallery module.
After the image has been selected, click Insert to upload the picture.
* It is strongly advised to only include works that you've created, that fall under Creative Commons with appropriate attributions, or have written permission from the creator to use. If you are using work created by someone else (text, image, sound), appropriate citations are required.
7. Adjust text and picture placement with the justifying icons in the toolbar of the module.
8. Make sure to spell check with the ABC icon in the toolbar of the module.
9. Click the green Save button in the upper left hand corner in order to save your work.
10. Click the View Text tab at the top of the module to view your work.
11. Click the Publish button on the top of the module to publish the module.
12. Click the Publish Changes to confirm the publishing of the module and to allow others to view your work.
13. View your module by clicking the Published button in the top toolbar.
*To move your module around your page in relation to other modules, click the Edit tab at the top of the screen. A tab on the module labeled Drag to Reorder will appear above the upper right corner of your module. Click and drag your module to your desired location.
Courtesy of Stony Brook,
good examples of Welcome Pages can be found below.
If you would like more information on this tutorial we have included a video by one of our partner schools, Salt Lake Community College. The video may contain some login information and system information pertaining to Salt Lake Community College, but by clicking the same buttons and entering your UA information into the fields provided you should be able to achieve the same results.
For more information please feel free to contact our tutors at: eWolfcoach@alaska.edu