Hello, my name is Marin Lee and I'm a senior at UAA studying Environmental Science with an informal focus on Marine Systems. I grew up in a tiny, coastal town called Homer where life is intertwined with the ocean but have spent several years traveling abroad. This, however, is my first trip to Japan; a place that has always fascinated me because of it's location, colorful culture, intriguing mindset and culinary delights.

I am especially excited to meet and talk to Japaese students, gain a richer understanding of the tsunami rebuilding process and check out sumi-e paintings and shibori dye.

I have spent many summers commercial fishing but this summer will work on a research vessel that will actually be closers to Japan than Alaska. When I graduate in December 2015, I want to pursue a career in science to do research on the open ocean and in coastal enviroments. I hope that by doing that, I can increase everyone's understanding of global oceans because I feel that they have the capacity to unite societies that are far away, such as Japan and the United States.

When I'm not in school or at work I like to rock climb, hike, bike, ski, camp and cook.

Cross country skiing at Portage Glacier.