Course Overview                 

CE 438 is the senior design course and Capstone for the Civil Engineering Department at the University of Alaska Anchorage.  This course is designed to test civil engineering students on their knowledge and ability to work with clients to complete a project.  I completed this course in May of 2017 and it required me to use everything I learned throughout my degree. This course definitely tested my skills and knowledge in civil engineering. 

I held the position of a project engineer specializing in water resources for the design of a snow-making system in Arctic Valley.  The client for this project was the Anchorage Ski Club.  The ski slope has been rated as an exceptional skiing hill and many NCAA teams along with Alyeska ski clubs are willing to purchase time slots for preseason practices.  My team and I were tasked with the objective to come up with a design for a snow-making system for Arctic Valley that will supply 30 acre-ft of snow by December 1st of each year.

Course Outcomes                

CE A438 Student Learning Outcomes and Corresponding Methods of Assessment

OutcomeMethod of Assessment

1. Ability to identify problems and opportunities, develop related engineering design criteria, and formulate alternative solutions to meet client needs while protecting public health and safety using knowledge and skills learned in the civil undergraduate curriculum.

Faculty and client evaluations of interactions with multi-disciplinary team members, instructors, and course mentors, interim and final oral presentations of project progress and findings, and contributions of technical drawings, visualizations, and narrative text to interim and final reports.

2. Ability to function effectively on multi‐ disciplinary teams engaged in collaborative and iterative design of a complex civil engineering system with conflicting technical, social, economic, and aesthetic objective.

Faculty evaluation of interactions with multi‐disciplinary team members, instructors, and course mentors, interim and final oral presentations of project progress and findings, and contributions of technical drawings, visualizations, and narrative text to interim and
final reports. Peer evaluations of team performance.

3. Understanding of the professional, legal, and ethical responsibilities of practicing civil engineers.

Faculty evaluation of interactions with multi-disciplinary team members, instructors, and course mentors, interim and final oral presentations of project progress and findings, and contributions of technical drawings, visualizations, and narrative text to interim and final reports.

4. Recognition of the need for and ability to engage in life‐long learning in the context of civil engineering professional practice.

Faculty evaluation of work products with an emphasis on evidence of self‐initiated learning of principles not covered in the curriculum to obtain needed information to solve the design problem.

5. Ability to communicate effectively with engineering drawings and technical visualizations, construction specifications, written technical reports, and public oral presentation.

Faculty evaluation of interim and final oral presentations of project progress and findings, and contributions of technical drawings, visualizations, and narrative text to interim and final report.