United States Army Corps of Engineers (USACE) Jan 2018 - Present
Buffalo, NY Hydraulic Engineer
Develop hydrologic and hydraulic models to assess floodplain boundaries and inform development of floodplain and flood risk management projects;
Utilize GIS and associated tools and extensions to pre-process modeling data and to develop other work products such as floodplain maps; and
Design hydraulic aspects of dams, gates, spillways, weirs, levees, diversion channels, as well as ecosystem restoration features such as wetlands, streambank protection, channel grade controls, fishways, and in-stream habitat.
ARCTEC Alaska Summer 2016
Anchorage, AK Engineering Intern
- Exposed to multiple engineering disciplines and the development of engineering guidelines and specifications.
- Worked on Over and Above (O&A) projects contracted out by the Air Force.
- Examined engineering plans and specifications associated with construction, maintenance, and repair of a wide variety of engineering systems.
- Traveled to remote locations to perform site investigations and oversaw the installation of civil engineering systems in accordance with engineering specifications and designs.
- Coordinated with those in other specialties to ensure completion of tasks and optimum results.
For examples of work completed, click here.
University of Alaska Anchorage Spring 2016
Anchorage, AK Fluid Mechanics Teachers Assistant
- Reviewed, and evaluated the work of students for technical accuracy, adequacy, and timely completion of laboratory reports.
- Assisted in data preparation to generate class statistics for the instructor.
- Assembled and facilitated fluid mechanics labs and assisted in verifying the hydraulic design of the experiments.
- Enforced university and classroom rules to aid in teaching students proper behavior.
- Provided guidance to students struggling with the concepts of hydraulic systems.
Department of Transportation Summer 2015
Eagle River, AK Construction Engineering Intern
- Oversaw contractors that were placing concrete, performing dig outs, milling, and paving a roadway.
- Managed and evaluated contractor efforts for technical progress and advised the DOT staff in order to facilitate contractor conformance to plans and specifications and to resolve performance issues.
- Observed firsthand, among other things, a concrete bridge being poured, culverts being placed, and grade manipulated by borrow A & D-1.
- Checked certified payrolls and pay sheet calculations as well as completed measurements for pay items and prepared pay sheets.
- Reviewed statements of work (SOW), performance work statements (PWS), cost estimates, and evaluation approaches for DOT technical service contracts.
McGoey Hauser & Edsall Summer of 2012 & 2013
Milford, PA Engineering Intern
- Assisted in several civil engineering projects, ranging from structural to environmental engineering.
- Executed and developed a dam breach analysis for flood risk assessment purposes.
- Analyzed and reevaluated structural design calculations.
- Conducted research via internet and telephone.
- Worked with computer aided design equipment (AutoCAD) on a daily basis.
- Created and prepared a master list of CSI preliminary specifications.
- Performed site inspections and surveying to gather design information for plan specifications.